Dear Nine-Year-Old

Dear nine-year-old,

I have so much to tell you. I don’t even know where to start. I think the best place to start would be the most important place: I’m going to tell you what I wish someone had told me when I was nine. First of all, you are you, and you need to absolutely love the person that you are. I know everyone says this, I know you hear it all the time, but this is my take, and something that is important to me. And I’m speaking from my experience. Now, for all you nine-year-olds out there: be yourself. Be completely yourself, be every version of yourself, and please try new things along the way. Believe me, I get it’s hard, but please stop hating yourself. You are going to face so much more than you know. Abandon the thought that growing up is like it is on Disney Channel, because it’s not. You’re going to go through a lot. I don’t know exactly what you’re going to face, but I can say that loving who you are is one of the best things you can do to be prepared for when everything falls apart. Because if you love who you are, then, no matter what anyone says, you’ll know that, even if people hurt you, you’re awesome, and you’ll get through it.

Another piece of advice, is to take chances. Sometimes the whole thing will blow up in your face, but that’s all a part of life. You have to learn from being wrong. Because, contrary to what you’ve been taught, it’s okay to mess up and be wrong. It’s okay to make a mess, as long as you clean it up and learn from your mistakes. We learn the most from messing up.

So don’t be afraid to take chances and learn. Because sitting on the sidelines because you’re too afraid to fail is a pretty boring life. It took me a long time to realize that, and I’m sure it will take you time as well. But please, remember this. Learn from your mistakes, and don’t beat yourself up if you mess up. It will all work on in the end. So, I’ll end on this simple note: no matter what happens, you’ll get through. I know it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gun Control

An Introduction To Me

On 9/11: What Hate Will Do